TIME'S UP! - No longer accepting applications for WAGGGS rep at COP17
Este texto no ha sido traducido todavía
12 Septiembre 2011
The opportunity to represent WAGGGS at COP17's UN Cliimate Change conference had its final day for submissions on Friday 9 September. This means applications will no longer be accepted.
At the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP 17) government representatives of most countries worldwide will gather to negotiate and agree upon a way forward on how to tackle Climate Change in the frame of the UN Climate Change Convention, including the Kyoto Protocol. WAGGGS knows that Climate Change is real and that now is the time to act. The WAGGGS youth delegates will participate in a local environment project and training before the conference. During the first week of the conference they will help ensure that the voice of girls and young women is heard, for example by following the negotiations, participating at side events, taking awareness raising action, using blogging and social media, making interviews and working with youth from around the world.
Further information on the conference and Durban: www.cop17durban.com, on the Climate Change Convention, Kyoto Protocol and more: www.unfccc.int, on WAGGGS activities at past conferences: www.wagggs.org/en/take_action/MDGprogrammes/Climatechange
Date and Venue
Conference venue: International Convention Centre (ICC), Durban, South Africa
Date of attendance: 21 Nov - 4 Dec 2011. Youth delegates will attend the pre-conference training and community action and first week of the conference
Date of conference: 28 Nov - 9 Dec 2011
Confirmation of attendance: WAGGGS will confirm the selection of youth delegates by the end of September. Please note that conference attendance will probably be restricted by a quota set by the UN. Therefore it is possible (but unlikely) that, WAGGGS needs to change the delegation set-up closer to the conference date.
Selection criteria for youth delegates
- Confirmation of nomination by International Commissioner or Chief Commissioner
- WAGGGS member aged 18 to 25
- Available to be present in Durban from 21 Nov - 4 Dec 2011
- Ability to work without problems in written and spoken English
- Active personal involvement in environmental projects within Guiding
- Basic knowledge about WAGGGS environment programmes and ready to learn more
- Able to participate in on-line trainings that include weekly calls and weekly tasks beginning end of September until the conference
- Commitment to undertake research on climate change issues prior to and after the event
- Able to apply learning from this experience into Member Organizations after the event, including engaging in environmental projects in their community
- Have a mature and responsible attitude
- Ready to invest a lot of time and energy, especially during the event